The club realised early on that they would need to extend the course to 18 holes to accommodate members and the many visitors attracted to the course; 1056 visitor tickets were sold in the 1938 season alone. However getting these additional 9 holes was proving to be very difficult. In the 1920’s there were several unsuccessful attempts to secure a strip of land near Lornshill Farm which would have joined the east and west fields, and possibly prevented members from seeking 18 holes elsewhere. Following the departure of “Alloa Golf Club” to Schawpark, the newly named Braehead Golf Club did eventually manage to gain this much needed land and were progressing towards the elusive 18 holes, when In 1939 the committee decided to delay due to the ensuing political crisis in Europe. You could say that salt was then rubbed in the woulds, when in 1941 the course was actually shortened by 7 1/2 acres as three holes were returned to farmland to aid the war effort. Prudently the three greens had been fenced off to protect them and the course was re-established without too much difficulty in 1946.
Following the war years visitor numbers continued to rise, as did the “Working Class” members who joined from the Tullibody area. So much so that in 1959 male membership had to be restricted and fees were capped. In 1964 a successful application was made to extend the course to the north & east of Arnsbrae house, a new clubhouse was included in the proposal and members were asked for interest free loans to support the costs.